Thursday, June 20, 2013

Pre-K and Kindergarten Assessments

I taught pre-school for 1 year and I loved every second of it.  I saw my students as my little babies!  They were little people with their own cute little personalities.  

I assessed their letter identification, letter-sound correspondence, and basic print knowledge with the Marie Clay assessments that can be found in this text:

I also used this book:

I was always able to get a ton of information using these assessments but they were quite time consuming.   I used these assessments for Benchmarking (4 times a year as we were on Quarters). 

Currently, I use portions of the Marie Clay assessments if I have questions about particular students but I use the ISEL (Illinois Snapshots of Early Literacy Assessment) for benchmarking purposes.  Information on the ISEL - K/1st can be found HERE.  My district also uses MAP (Measure of Academic Progress) for benchmarking.

There are so many early literacy skills that Kindergarteners learn throughout the course of the year.  I was in search of some type of progress monitoring assessment that was a whole package deal.  Progress monitoring seems to come to my mind a lot.  Well, I was looking for something that tested letter identification, letter-sound correspondence, phonemic awareness, phonological awareness, developmental spelling/word writing, word reading and text reading.  Did I find it? 
No.  I purchased a bunch of professional texts claiming to have progress monitoring tools and none of them did.  I ended up returning so many I can't even remember what the titles were.  So what did I decide to do?  I did what any other teacher in my position would do.  I made my own :)  
It was a very time consuming task but I finished it.  I only did these assessments once a month because they were quite lengthy.  You can see the free version of these assessments HERE.  Let me know what you think of them.

While on the topic of Kindergarten assessments, I just got a new text in the mail! 
I bought it HERE.  

There is a section titled:  10 minutes that may change a life.  Wow, now that is deep.  I can't wait to read it. 

Thanks for reading!

~*Gina*~

  

No comments:

Post a Comment