Saturday, June 29, 2013

What can we say beyond "Sound it Out" ???

Yesterday started out as such a lovely day.  The weather was gorgeous!  We got to the pool around noon and swam for about 3 hours - I think Gianluca found a new love for swimming!   My sister came to the pool and we decided to sit at one of the picnic tables and enjoy some fresh fruit.  And all of a sudden, out of nowhere it started pouring! I mean torrential downpour with freezing, ice cold rain that was coming in sideways! 

They immediately closed the pool, and the mob of people --- well it seemed like we were all running for our lives --- but in reality, we just wanted to get to our cars.

Although my sister and I were soaked and freezing, we managed to keep Gianluca warm and somewhat dry.  When we returned to my house, the sun was shining! 

I couldn't help but laugh and think "you've got to be kidding me" ~ I often find myself laughing in my head about similar situations when I'm working with students. 

Sometimes, I feel like the same thing is happening with my struggling readers.  We start out smooth sailing, making progress - they see the light!  Then, it pours.  They come to road blocks, get frustrated and sometimes even angry with themselves.  And I always have to remind myself to keep them relaxed.  How do I do that?  Well, by keeping myself relaxed and telling them that it is OKAY to try.  That good readers TRY and when we make mistakes, we TRY AGAIN!  And then, the light starts to shine again. 

I typed up some cues I use to help students stay calm and to understand what to do when they can't decode a word.  These cues/prompts are much more than simply telling them to "sound it out" ~ Because, what if they don't know what sound to make?

You can find the cues HERE!  

Thanks for reading!

~*Gina*~ 

No comments:

Post a Comment